Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Beauty Everywhere!


Our lives are such that we always have to be on the move, rushing, trying to meet a deadline. You must be thinking, look who's talking! I know, my life is the perfect example. Sometimes I'm too busy even to chat with my friends.
As you might already know, I'm really stressed out because I have a deadline for today, to finish entering all the data of the 8 districts, of which I have finished about 4 and a half, a deadline for 14th to send DNP this updated map thingy, and a deadline for 15th to get a certain information from the 8 Island Councils. So, yes, things are really out of control right now.
It was with all this stress that I dropped my baby sister off at Afith's place (Aunt who looks after her when mom and I are busy) since mom went to the yam field and I have office. After I dropped her off, I was racing my motorbike to get back to the office to finish the rest of the data entry when I noticed this nagging headache that has been there for a while now.

I slowed down my motorbike, and took a deep breath, pushed the thought of work to the back of my mind, and looked around. I was driving through an area so dense with trees that there was no hot rays of sunlight burning my skin, since the trees formed canopies. I realised how serene the place looked and I closed my eyes and let the wind caress my face. I felt the headache slowly slipping away.

I opened my eyes and looked around. There were these little plants with all colours of flowers on them. The flowers were so tiny that you wouldn't even notice them if you didn't look for them. It reminded me of a time in London, when I would notice cute flowers on plants grown at the most unexpected of places, like on top of lamp posts, road signs and teeny tiny balconies.  But when I zoom in and focus on them, they look so beautiful. When I noticed those, I thought, So beautiful! How did I miss this before?

I had walked on that road, driven on that road thousands of times. But I didn't notice the beauty waiting to be appreciated until I slowed down and really looked around!

We see many things, just normal everyday things we are so used to that we don't even notice them. We take them for granted, there is nothing special about them. But it's only when we look closer, looking for the tiny details, that we see the real beauty in it, and we realise how special it is, in it's own unique way.

We just have to learn to see things with appreciative eyes, look for beauty in the most average things. Because, once we take a closer look, there is beauty everywhere.

So go ahead, slow down, look around! Find the beauty around you, and you will feel yourself relaxing, calming down and seeing things in a whole new way! And don't worry, the world wouldn't end just because you took some time to appreciate the good and beauty in your life! :D


2 comments:

  1. Beauty can be found anywhere as long as you don't forget to look up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the same thing happened to me yesterday. I was walking down the road thinking about everything (after reading a very thought provoking story) and I noticed little plants growing on the side of the road. I walk that road everyday, have been for more than five years and I just noticed.

    ReplyDelete