Tuesday, January 29, 2013

YourSingapore Day 3 (cont)

Note: Image credit to all the rightful owners!

Hola! Heartfelt apologies for leaving you stranded at the gates of Botanic Garden for two whole weeks!
Ready to venture into the unknown? :P lol

So I went through the gates, walked on this awesome foot path.




The first thing I saw were the huge trees from far, then I spotted this sign board thingy and I went near it. It had the map of the whole  botanic garden (if my memory serves right).




Walk, walk and there were these gorgeous, unique plants with all kinds of flowers on them. Honestly, you have to be there to see the real beauty, because the camera doesn't do the scenery justice.

It was pretty cool, the walk I mean. When I entered the Botanic Garden, all I knew was that it was real big and it had a lot of different species of plants. When I went there, I knew it had a Children's garden, a Visitor Centre, an Orchid garden, Swan Lake, Ginger Garden, Healing Garden, Evolution Garden and a Botany Centre, among other things!
Also, I didn't get lost in the HUGE place because there were signs leading us to wherever we wanted to go in all the footpaths.


It felt a bit like I was playing treasure hunt, because there were all sorts of roads (foot paths) leading to all the places and I had to choose which treasure (place) I wanted to go, so I had to follow the clues (signs) in the maze like place, enjoying the different types of colourful flowers, big and small, with the most variety of plants of multi colours I have ever seen in my life (until I entered the Orchid Garden ;)) that lined the footpaths. Every single plant on the way was worth taking a picture of! I had my camera,   a camera Matt so generously lent me (because mine didn't charge properly the previous night so it didn't have enough charge!) and my phone (which ofcourse had crapy photo quality! This was my previous phone. The one I'm having right now is so amazing! :D). I kept alternating between cameras because both of them were low on charge.


















I came across this really cute pond which had a tiny man-made waterfall behind it. That was so beautiful! The most beautiful place I went to that day! It was so magical, with grass all around it, water lily in the pond giving company to the multi-coloured fishes there and unique plants growing all around the pond!


My main destination was the Orchid Garden, so I didn't run off on other routes that would take me to other places (lucky for me, the pond was on the way! :D). Unfortunately, I had entered the Botanic Garden from the side opposite to the one where Orchid Garden was. So it was a looooooong loooooong walk to the place. I finally reached the Orchid Garden at around 8 pm and by then it was really dark and the Orchid garden was closed. (The sun sets at around 7pm in Singapore, which is different from Maldives, where the sun sets at almost 6pm! ;))

It was such a disappointment that I didn't get to see the place after such a long walk (the longest walk I  ever took in my entire life! When I tell you the place is big, it's bigger than an average island of Maldives!)

By then, I was starving so I went off in search of a cafe' or a restaurant or a food place. The closest food place was some time away and again, I followed the signs to it. I passed restaurants which were closed, but they were near the man-made tiny waterfalls which had garden lights in the water, which made them look so serene and magical! It was then that I wished I had a DSLR so I could capture the magic! It is a sight that would be forever engraved in my mind!
This is the place during day time

This is just part of it with only one light. It was wayy better than this!

When I finally reached the food place, there were Chinese, Singaporean and Indian food places there, all next to each other. I went to the Indian place and ordered some Noodles because honestly, I was dead tired and starving so I wasn't in a mood to experiment with new cuisines! (And my past experience with Chinese food in London kept me away from them!) But when I got the food, before I could eat, I saw these magnificent flowers! yes, they were BIG and they were colourful, and it was gorgeous! I just HAD to snap some pictures  of them before actually sitting down to eat ;)

I got pineapple juice and some water for the long walk ahead and started walking. I had to ask several people for directions as to where I would find the closest bus stop. It was some walk, I tell you! Especially since my feet  hurt from wearing these uncomfortable shoes the whole day! I finally took off my shoes, pretended I'ma tourist walking on the sandy beaches of Maldives and started walking. Even at 9pm, when I was going all alone, through deserted roads which were so dark that I had to use my phone to light up the path, the people who saw me didn't even look at me, let alone harass me  like they would  have if this was Fuvahmulah or something! My respect for Singapore grew then.


I asked a couple of joggers and they pointed the way. I finally got out of the maze and found a bus stop. I got on a bus that would take me to Clementi Market. (I've been to Clementi Market before with Iko so I know it's near home ;)) By then I was soo tired I was sure I could sleep all day! I was dozing off even on the bus.

When I got off at Clementi Market, I didn't know which bus to take next, so I called Iko. But when she didn't pick up, I realised that it must be because she was volunteering. (She did mention something about it!) So I called Matt. He was most helpful! He gave me the bus number that I should take.

When I finally reached home, I was so exhausted that I slept immediately!

That is the end of Day 3 in Singapore. Are you ready for Day 4? Bet you are tired from all that walking! Rest well, for we have another tiring yet fun day ahead. Hope to tell you all about it next Monday!

Ciao! ZZZZZzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment